Sunday, August 1, 2010

What WAS I thinking?!?

Greetings everyone.... I'm back!

As most of you know, I've been experimenting with Crossfit as an alternative to my generally insane regimen of cardiovascular activities. After successfully giving up the copious amounts of swimming, running, rowing, biking and Versa climber, I've discovered that I don't know squat! Actually, I do KNOW squat ( in fact I've recently been certified in my knowledge of the squat, so to speak)., I just can't DO squat. Let me explain; The proper execution of the squat is a fundamental movement associated with what has recently become known as “Functional Fitness”.

My problem is that for the last 52 or so years, my posture has been absolutely terrible. Couple that with the fact that I've always rounded my back instead of bending at the hip when I'd bend over to pick up anythin and you have major flexibility issues. It's these serious flexibility issues that have been seriously hindering my Crossfit progress. A rounded back during a heavy Deadlift, or a heavy Back/Front Squat is a recipe for serious injury. Add to that, a “muted hip” and there are another half dozen functional movements that will take 2 times the energy to accomplish (Wall Balls, Kettle Bell swings, Kipping Pull Ups and Thrusters to name a few).

Over the last several months, I've spent considerable time and effort in an attempt to remedy the situation and I've learned the hard way ( via injury to my knees from a few too forceful “yin yoga” sessions) that I'm not going to be able to fix this over night. I'll continue working on the problem because it will benefit me most in my 60's, 70's and 80's. Hopefully, in another year or two, I'll be able to take full advantage of the CrossFit methodology. I still do believe it is the best program available for overall fitness and wellness in general. I just need to limit it to 2 to 3 days per week and I'll think long and hard about how much weight I'm using.

Bottom line: I need to get back to more running, biking, swimming, rowing and whatever other cardiovascular exercises I can find to attract my attention long enough to suffer through 60 – 90 minutes per day.

I had thought that it was hard when I quit the “Mega Cardio” regimen cold turkey. I find it amazing how much momentum came into play in regards to my achieving so much on a weekly basis. Getting back to the 4:30am swim start is unbelievably hard. I'm also amazed at how quickly the body loses its' hard earned fitness. For example, in March and April of this year, my average 30 minute row was over 7,200 meters. This week I attempted a 30 minute row and it KILLED me to barely break 6,500 meters!

In regards to the title of this latest post “What WAS I thinking?!?”, I've identified an important concept that had been masked by habit and the aforementioned momentum of my previous exercise routines. The concept I'm thinking of has roots in my Christian faith and while not even quite accurate in a religious context, I believe it to be completely valid and valuable in this context. I'm referring to “a dual minded man”. The book of James refers to this person who looks at himself in the mirror, walks away and forgets the man he was. Many a morning, I now wake up and tend to justify to myself why I should just turn off the alarm and pull the covers over my head. I also now regularly consider the tasks I've determined to tackle and I now regularly ask myself “What was I thinking?!?” Yep, to remain in the Biblical mode for just one last stab... “The spirit is willing but the flesh is WEAK”....indeed & Amen...

Even though I've learned to overcome this generically human trait, I still find the struggle applicable in regards to the level of fitness I'm trying to achieve. For example I'd determined that I wanted to run one more marathon in my life with a desire to break the 4 hour mark. I know, in the next 10 weeks, the thought will come up again and again.... “What was I thinking!?!”. Could this also be a gauge of whether we're attempting enough? i.e. If I don't question my decisions.... am I NOT stretching myself far enough?

I honestly think this may be a key concept when we look at our societies inability to tackle the obesity epidemic. This is without question, the reason so many resolutions are dropped by the wayside. We need to constantly remind ourselves of what we were thinking.

I was thinking I wanted to be healthy.
I was thinking, I wanted to test my mettle.
I was thinking a formidable challenge would be enriching.
I was thinking it would be nice to be able to... (put activity here)..
I was thinking I need to pursue excellence, an “Everest” as it were, of my own choosing.
I was thinking I'd feel better.
I was thinking I'd like to play with my grand kids.
I was thinking it'd simply be the right thing to do...
I was thinking I'd simply like a better version of myself.
Etc, etc, etc...

We NEED to keep reminding ourselves.... We NEED to associate with others who do not question our lofty goals but help to remind us of why we're attempting the difficult things in life. We need to continue to challenge others and to encourage them when they're beginning to wonder... “What WAS I thinking?!?”

Since I've last posted I've accomplished the following:
  • Gotten my CPR certification.
  • Followed through with my desire to become a Weight Watchers leader ( after some time I've filled out the application and was invited to an informal “Prospective Leaders” meeting on August 20th.
  • Signed up for a class to become a certified “Spinning” instructor ( for the weekend of Aug. 14th)
  • I've gotten around 30% through the NSCA certification process.
  • Gotten my CrossFit Level 1 Trainer certificate ( a group I'm MOST proud to be associated with! )

I'll be attempting to post weekly and I thank you all for joining me on my journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment