Sunday, January 17, 2010

Failure is not an option, but a real possibility!

I have a confession. Look at my picture above this text. What do you see….? Look closely. Notice the bit of a smirk around the edge of my mouth. Can you recognize the slight squint of my eyes and the slightly furrowed brow? Yep, you probably are recognizing that this is not exactly a victory photo. The picture was taken after I’d failed to successfully complete my first triathlon.

You see, one day around the time I had first discovered that running was an option for me, I was inspired watching coverage of the Ironman World Championships from Kona and decided I wanted to try a triathlon. One problem… I couldn’t swim. So I determined to learn to swim. My first time in the pool, I couldn’t make it 10 meters without panicking. I slowly worked my way up to being able to swim the full length of the pool & then a complete lap. I briefly tried a tutor but she was more used to training children than adults. My ego could only handle one scene where after working on the sidestroke, the tutor in her very best “Miss Barbra” voice loudly and excitedly proclaimed, “You’re doing it… You’re doing it!”. I immediately looked around the pool area and discovered that I was VERY fortunate there were no friends or acquaintances nearby. That was most definitely one of my last private lessons.

My problem with the unsuccessful triathlon was pretty simple. Open water was just WAY to different from my warm pool with the line along the bottom of the lane. While I knew it would be a HUGE difference, the breaking point was when one of the support kayaks approached me because I was going off course. When the lifeguard tried to correct my course by pointing me towards the buoy, I realized that I’d actually have to be able to SEE the buoy without my glasses. I still regret pulling out ( I should have just kept swimming in that general direction until I could see it). My point here though is that while failure is never something to be accepted casually, as an athlete, the possibility of failure should regularly be present. While disappointed, I don’t regret the effort.

Because I am relatively new to Crossfit, I have yet to need to bail on a heavy back squat. I’m pretty sure however, that I’ll soon be reaching my absolute limit and my need to fail & bail (safely) is also imminent. I do think also however that this is an appropriate example of a healthy attitude towards failure. Failure that comes as a result of pushing your limits is honorable. Success as a result of choosing limited challenges due to fear of failure is not.

I really enjoy what Randy Pausch taught about failure in his “Last Lecture”: He taught that it was better to fail spectacularly than do something mediocre. He also gave out a First Penguin Award each year when he was teaching to the student that was the biggest failure in trying something big and new. Randy thought that huge failures resulting from grand attempts should be celebrated. (First Penguins are the ones that risk that the water might be too cold). If you’re unfamiliar with Randy’s last lecture, you would without doubt benefit from his wisdom and story at: http://www.cmu.edu/randyslecture. I highly recommend viewing it or getting the book.

I think we often take our selves too seriously as amateur athletes. Our struggles in the arena are not truly life or death. I am also convinced and truly believe that by actually pushing yourself to failure in an athletic perspective where its importance is limited will help us as individuals, to push ourselves through to hard fought successes in real life where it really counts.

I’m currently training for a monumental stair climb race that involves 4 buildings and over 180 floors. Although I am an experienced climber, I expect this to be a major challenge (Sears tower was only 103 floors). I’m training with a team of over 12 people. The greater majority of my teammates are new climbers who have never done a single stair race. I have to say that the way that they are jumping in with both feet and are determined to tackle all four towers no matter how difficult is a major inspiration to me… This is what I’m talking about and I salute their spirit.

The only person that ever really fails is the person who quits trying and totally gives up (Thus "not an option). My swimming is still my weak point but I’ve been working on my form and I do intend to complete my first triathlon in 2010 (along with the help of prescription swim goggles!).

So, in a nutshell, I’d encourage everyone to quit “shooting fish in a barrel” and attempt big things without the fear of failure.

What I’ve done this week:
Versa 1 Mile
Swimming 4k Meters
Running 14 Miles
Rowing 23,535 Meters - Includes 30 min. PR of 7,249 (PR by 4 meters)
Bike 75 min.
Stairclimbing 190 Floors
Crossfit #1
5Rounds - 30squats/10 pull ups/5 clean press 95lb.
Crossfit #2
WU - 3rds 10 Push Ups/10 Squats/20 Jump Jacks - WOD - 5rds. 12 DeadLifts/9 HangCleans/6 Push Jerk - CD Tapata Squats x 4

My Current Weight is 161.5lbs.
20,535 kcal Consumed
8,021 kcal Burned During Exercise
12,514 kcal Net (Consumed - Burned)
Daily Goal 2,088 (maintenance)
Weekly Goal 14,616
Deficit 2102 kcal (about .75 lb)
Details can be perused at:
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/diary/who/Stairclimber_D/

No comments:

Post a Comment