Sunday, January 24, 2010

The "Suck Factor"

Several months ago I had the opportunity to attend a seminar to hear Crossfit founder Greg Glassman speak. One of the terms he used relating to the efficacy of any particular fitness tool was its “Suck Factor”. I believe he used the Concept2 rowing machine as prime example. Activities with a high “Suck Factor” are usually very painful and there is generally a direct correlation between their ability to cause discomfort and their value to create in us an increased level of fitness. When I think about it, I’m truly surprised by the number of activities I engage in that can fall into this category. Crossfit in general, rowing, stair climbing, running, biking and Versa Climber are all activities that I know have, each quite literally, inspired the proclamation of the qualifying phrase “THIS SUCKS” from me on more than one occasion.

While it is obvious that a major part of my motivation to seek out these more extreme methods of training is simply an increased level of fitness, there is also a broader, deeper, more meaningful approach to life that I’m attempting to apply to my time on this planet.

Some time ago I read this quote that has had a huge impact on my views relating to physical discipline:

“There are two doors in life: pleasure and pain. And, through whatever door you enter, you are sure to leave through the other."
Baltasar Gracian, The Art of Worldly Wisdom (1637)

It amazes me how simple and effective this sentiment is and yet how profound and universal its’ application can be. After considerable thought, I cannot think of another single concept that could have a greater impact on our troubled world today. Be it health and fitness, diet and obesity, economics or diplomacy, if we were to simply grasp and apply this simple truth, our lives as a whole would be very different.

In relation to fitness and longevity however, I believe there is special relevance. The particular relevance that fascinates me most involves the tactical advantage to life that can be garnered over the inescapable pain that we are each going to face throughout our lives. Simply put, by willingly and purposely choosing that door of pain, our choice of pain is therefore at our own discretion. We can therefore choose the type of pain we feel we can deal with the easiest. If our first choice is pleasure though, we’ll never know until it’s time to exit, the manner of pain that will inevitably be thrust upon us. This tactical advantage of one “tempo” or first move has huge implications.

I usually like to workout on my lunch break. During the spring and summer months there is a route I like to run that takes me down the Detroit-Superior Bridge. Everyone I run with knows I like a particular downhill section of the bridge. I’m not sure why, but the particular grade of descent feels perfect and I feel like I’m running at a 4 minute mile pace (probably closer to 6 min. mile pace in reality). Make no mistake, it hurts like hell, but if I’d have to choose, I’d say that it would be my pain of choice… Yep, music blaring, wind blowing in my face and a downhill momentum that gives me an unbeatable high even through the pain.

Make no mistake, I have no illusions of perfect health & guaranteed fitness into my senior years. On more than one occasion, people who have heard of my exercise regime have pointed out that I could go through all this and end up getting hit by a bus! In fact, just the week before last I heard the story of legendary Coney Island strongman Joe Rollino who was probably, pound for pound, one of the strongest men who ever lived (he was said to be able to lift over 600lbs with 1 finger!). Mr Rollino was in the middle of his daily 5mile walk at the age of 104 and literally got hit by a minivan and was killed.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10024/1030522-122.stm?cmpid=localstate.xml

There we have it:

The choice of hard work, discipline, self denial and the willful acceptance of the pain of our choice that will eventually be rewarded with pleasure.
    or
The life of instant gratification, general ease and lack of discipline that leads to an indiscriminate pain that is beyond our control.

The choice is ours. I will, nonetheless, continue for as long as I can, to make the choices that will benefit my future as best as possible.

What I’ve done this week:
Versa 1 Mile
Swimming 2,400 Meters
Running 10 Miles
Rowing 30,858 Meters - Includes 30 min. PR of 7,321 (PR by 72 meters!)
Bike 90 min.
Stairclimbing 438 Floors (248 Stairmaster,190 Real)

Crossfit #1
With a continuously running clock, squat for 60 seconds. Subtract the number of squats completed from 60, and do that many pull-ups in minute two. In minute three, squat again, subtracting the number completed from 60. Do that number of push-ups in minute four. Minute five is squatting again, and minute six pull-ups.
The pattern is squats, pull-ups, squats, push-ups, squats, pull-ups, etc. The goal is to stay within the workout's formula for as long as possible. Don't do more than 60 squats in any round. In any case, stay moving for at least 12 minutes.
Competed 1st round squat/pull up/squat/push up. - 45Squat/15Pullup, 40Squat/20Pushup
2nd round squat/pull up (3 short) on pullups - 40Squat/17Pullup, 40Squat/20Pushup
3rd round squat/pull up (21 short) on pullups - 30Squat/9Pullup, 38Squat/22Pushup
Cool down: 5 sandbag turkish get ups on each side (10 total), 20 situps
Crossfit #2
Team - John B. & Myself
2000M Row
60 Box jumps
50 SDHP
40 Burpees
30 Sandbag getups
20 Overhead squats
400M Run
23:05

My Current Weight is 160.5lbs.
22,100 kcal Consumed
8,028 kcal Burned During Exercise
14,072 kcal Net (Consumed - Burned)
Daily Goal 2,088 (maintenance)
Weekly Goal 14,616
Deficit 544 kcal (about > .25 lb)
**** F.Y.I. – I estimate my accuracy to be approximately +/- 15%. I do NOT track condiments, coffee cream or my nightly “hershey’s kiss” I grab on the way out of the office in the evening. Whenever possible, I over estimate my calories consumed and I under estimate my calories burned. This will account for the ½lb à 1lb weight discrepancy.

Details can be perused at:
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/diary/who/Stairclimber_D/

No comments:

Post a Comment